Saturday, November 15, 2025

Thiongs I will never do


In your mid-80s, you begin to realize that some things on your “bucket list” will never happen. I guess I will never:

—Run a mile again.

—Visit Japan or China. Too tiring and complicated. Not sure I wanted to do that anyway.

—Make love to Brigitte Bardot. What? She just turned 90? Nah!Too old for me. Your loss, baby!

—Have a hangover again. It wouldn’t be hard, but it would take a week out of my already diminishing life.

—-Climb Mount Everest. Even if I did, I would probably hear“You haven’t already? I did it last year.”

—Play second base for the Washington Nationals. I can’t even get a tryout!

—Win an Academy Award as James Bond.

—Win a Pulitzer Prize, though this column certainly deserves it.

—Become a trillionaire. I would settle for a billionaire!

—Be chosen for to the Supreme Court. Am I too old for that too?

—Parachute out of an airplane. George H.W. Bush did that at age 90, so there is still time. But I can get dizzy already just getting out of bed.

 

But there are still things I CAN do:

—Be a loving grandfather to children ranging from 9 to 18.

—Do Silver Sneakers three times a week at the YMCA.

—Walk 2 miles or bike 10 miles.

—Play in a cabaret at my own house.

—Make exotic, adventurous trips to Lynchburg, Richmond and Durham.

—Direct the music for a famous musical. Yes!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment